This church was built, through the work of Rev. Patrick Gibney, then curate of the parish, on a site given by James Kinsella, Veldonstown. The site was obtained by Fr. Ennis in 1841 and a donation of £200 was given by Sir. William Somerville. The new church was used for the first time on 10th July 1845. The building was completed by Fr. Thomas Lynch and was dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption by Dr. Cantwell on 19th Oct. 1854. Repairs costing over £1000 were made by Fr. Casey and the church was re-dedicated on 10th March 1918.
Inside the Church is a large octagonal stone vessel used as a Holy Water font, which came from the old church at Tymoole. The inscription translates: "This font stone was built by Robar e Hollywood, Anno Domini,1597, he being proctor (PlsXXVIII7XXIX)". It is likely that he was a brother of Fr. Christopher Hollywood (1559-1630) the well known Jesuit.
The church is described as a big five-bay gabled hall with handsome limestone gothic frontpiece. Inside the church has an open timber-framed roof and a large four-centred arch to the altar wall. The marble altar was brought from the Augustinian Church in Drogheda, donated by a member of the Maguire family. The front altar shows the first, third and fifth
Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary. At the rear of the church is a painting - Veronese-esque Mystic Marriage of St. Catherine, donated by the Somerville family.